Careers at HIMĀL
Vacancy for Engagement Editor
Himal Southasian, a pioneering regional magazine of politics and culture, is looking for a new Engagement Editor.
Working with the Himal editorial team, the Engagement Editor will develop and implement plans to increase the publication’s reach across multiple digital platforms, and to nurture the publication’s relationship with its audience. A core responsibility will be managing and expanding Himal’s paid membership programme for its audience and supporters.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills as well as an interest in Southasian affairs in line with Himal’s mission as a regional publication. They will have at least one year of experience in overseeing social media, newsletters, SEO, analytics, website maintenance and curation, digital marketing, outreach events, audience growth and retention initiatives as well as subscription/membership programmes for media, publishing, advocacy or similar organisations. Additional expertise in coding, digital marketing, web/graphic design and audience-driven fundraising/revenue generation will count as advantages.
Major responsibilities include:
1. In coordination with the editorial team, develop and implement strategies to continually grow website readership, social-media and newsletter engagement, and paid membership
2. Manage Himal’s social-media accounts and newsletters, as well as digital platforms for analytics, user/member engagement, etc.
3. In coordination with the editorial team, help to generate/curate suitable content for all social-media channels, newsletters and other outreach channels
4. Manage and continually improve all membership-related communication and processes, including online payments and user experience
5. Network with other media organisations, educational and research institutions, think tanks, etc., to expand Himal’s reach and recruit new paid members
6. Work with the editorial team and website developers to improve user experience on the Himal website, improve homepage curation and story recommendations, etc.
7. Help organise and manage online events to further audience/member outreach and engagement, and help design publicity materials
8. Continually update and improve in-house policies on SEO, social-media and newsletter content, etc.
9. Monitor and report regularly on analytics and engagement, and analyse engagement data to devise improvements in Himal’s outreach and engagement practices
10. Oversee continuing updates of Himal’s online archive in line with good SEO practices, and increase the visibility of the archive across the website, newsletters, social media, etc.
11. Manage emergencies, including outages, of social-media channels and the website
This is a full-time position covering the working week from Monday to Friday, on a one-year contract with possible extension. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and proven ability. (The amount quoted will be prior to all statutory deductions.) The position is open to all nationalities. Himal’s staff operates remotely from home in their respective bases across the region, with regular online communications following Southasian working hours. Candidates from marginalised social groups are encouraged to apply.
Please send applications to email@example.com with the subject line “Engagement Editor vacancy 2023”. The extended deadline for applications is Monday, 3 April. A complete application must include your CV; a cover letter naming two references; and a brief assessment of Himal’s current engagement and outreach efforts as you understand them, with suggestions on concrete steps for improvement. Candidates from marginalised social groups may, if they wish, briefly describe their social background in the cover letter.
Shortlisted applicants can expect a test assignment followed by an interview process. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.