Careers at HIMĀL
Vacancy for Assistant Editor
Himal Southasian, a pioneering regional magazine of politics and culture, is looking for an Assistant Editor to join our remote editorial team.
The Assistant Editor’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Commissioning and editing stories – including reportage, analysis, commentary, essays and reviews – from a wide variety of writers on Southasia
- Supervising writers in researching and reporting stories
- Generating story ideas suited to Himal’s readership
- Sustaining and expanding Himal’s network of contributing writers, including independent journalists, academics, researchers, etc.
- Copy-editing stories, newsletters and other texts to align them with house style and standard English
- Writing newsletters and social-media material to promote stories and Himal events
- Proof-reading stories for publication and occasionally helping with fact-checking in line with in-house guidelines
- Researching suitable image options to accompany stories
- Uploading stories onto the Himal website for publication, and helping with general website upkeep
- Staying current on political, social and cultural affairs across Southasia
The ideal candidate will:
- Be an early-career to mid-career professional with editorial experience in journalism, publishing or related fields
- Have excellent spoken and written English-language skills, with an exceptional grasp of grammar and usage
- Demonstrate strong knowledge and interest in journalistic writing and the craft of editing, as well as a passion for good story-telling and clear writing
- Have sound journalistic judgment and a good grasp of media ethics
- Show a knowledge of and passion for Southasian affairs
- Have a proven record of working well remotely and in small teams, meeting deadlines, taking initiative, and collaborating with people from a variety of social backgrounds
Prior reporting experience, or experience closely supervising journalistic reporting and research, will count as a plus.
This is a full-time position covering the working week from Monday to Friday, on a one-year contract with possible extension. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and proven ability. (The amount quoted will be prior to all statutory deductions.)
The position is open to all nationalities. Himal’s staff operates remotely from their respective bases across the region, with regular online communications following Southasian working hours. Candidates from marginalised social groups are encouraged to apply.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “<Name> – Assistant Editor 2023”. The deadline for applications is Monday, 5 June. A complete application must include your CV and a cover letter naming two references. Candidates from marginalised social groups may, if they wish, briefly describe their social background in the cover letter.
Shortlisted applicants can expect a test assignment followed by an interview process. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.